Amelia Baumgardner attends leadership conference in D.C.

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
May 17, 2013  

Amelia Baumgardner, junior, had the opportunity to attend the all-girls “Ann Power” conference in Washington D.C. The conference was sponsored by Ann Taylor and took place April 1-4. In order to attend, there was an online application process. Over 2,000 girls applied and only 50 were chosen.... Read More

Matthew Parodi, current sophomore, will take over as next year's Editor-in-Chief.

I, Jaden Scott…

Jaden Scott, Graduate
May 16, 2013  

This binder contains essential StuCo information. I referred to it almost every day. I, Jaden Scott, would like to will my Student Council binder to Ben Powers and Jack Niebrugge. From organizing homecomings, blood drives and skills days, to all the “in betweens,” this binder became an... Read More

District introduces senior surveys

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
May 14, 2013  

USD 416 has started a new survey program beginning with this year’s graduating seniors. LifeTrack Services will be providing surveys to solicit input about the school experience at LHS. The district will use this information to plan initiatives and make any improvements that may be necessary.... Read More

beasley prom

Prom: Beasley’s Barn Dance

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
May 7, 2013  

Prom is always an extraordinary event; but this year, there was something that made it even more special. After the passing of “Mrs. Beasley Sweetheart Dear,” many people had their doubts about how prom would turn out. However, Troy Stout, industrial technology teacher, came to the rescue. He... Read More

EUR_2653

Spring Break Trip to Europe

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
April 19, 2013  

Over Spring Break, a total of 29 people including students, LHS faculty chaperones and several parents, went on a trip to Europe. This was similar to the trip taken two years ago to Spain, where students traveled to Barcelona and Madrid. This time, the trip went to Paris and then to Barcelona.... Read More

sign feature

Four seniors commit to play football on National Signing Day

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
February 11, 2013  

Wednesday, Feb. 6, was National Signing Day for college football. This year, there were four seniors who made the official commitment to play college football. They all received at least some sort of scholarship to the school they will be attending next year. Colin Bird signed with Ottawa University... Read More

chelsea topstory

Senior studies abroad in New Zealand

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
January 25, 2013  

Studying abroad is an experience that is often found on someone’s “bucket list.” Chelsea Fleming, senior, had the opportunity to cross this item off her list when she went to study in New Zealand for a semester. She left July 14, 2012, and arrived July 16. The first person she met was... Read More

washing hands

Environmental Science classes take water samples

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
December 14, 2012  

Last week, the environmental science classes took water samples from seven different areas around Louisburg. This is a project Bernadette Stevens does every year she teaches environmental science. Students walked around town and took samples from the Louisburg lake, lakes behind Summerfield,... Read More

thanksgiving-fb-edited

History of Thanksgiving Day Football Games

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
November 30, 2012  

Thanksgiving is a day to celebrate family, friends  and…(drum roll)…football. There are many traditions on Thanksgiving, and for millions of people, watching football is one of them. The Thanksgiving Classic is a series of three National Football League games played on Thanksgiving Day.... Read More

collage-2

High School “Bucket List”

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
November 9, 2012  

High school is an exciting stage of life. Especially as a senior, I have had time to reflect on all of the fun activities and events I have participated in throughout my “career” at LHS. Therefore, I have compiled a “Bucket List” of items that each and every student should do at least... Read More

topstory

NHS sponsors book drive

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
October 26, 2012  

Every year, National Honors Society (NHS) takes on one big community service project. This year, they are sponsoring a book drive for the Children’s Mercy Hospital in downtown Kansas City. Katie Dixon, senior and NHS President, is a member of the Children’s Mercy Hospital Teen Advisory... Read More

story-03

12th Annual Electric Light Band Show

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
October 12, 2012  

Louisburg is a town with many traditions. One of these traditions is the LHS Marching Band’s Electric Light Show, which has been going on for 12 years. At the Electric Light Show, the band marches over to the stadium and performs their halftime show, first with the stadium lights on. Then,... Read More

Photo by Adam Daugherty

Powder Puff Preview

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
September 28, 2012  

Every Friday night, fans gather to watch the football boys take on a new opponent. Well, this Sunday, the girls will get their chance to play on the field… against each other. To start off homecoming week, the junior and senior girls will face off in a game of flag football:  Powder Puff. Leading... Read More

MusicalAuditionsTopStory

The music department completes auditions for “The Children of Eden”

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
September 14, 2012  

The musical has been announced, auditions have been completed and roles have been assigned for this year’s production of “The Children of Eden.” Lyra Pherigo, choir teacher and director, chose this musical after talking to several of her professional friends. “What drives this musical... Read More

league art-featured

Art students participate in League Art Show

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
May 18, 2012  

Earlier this month, 10 art students went to the League Art Show at Spring Hill High School. This is the 19th year for the art show and LHS has participated every time. There were two on-site competitions that the students competed in:  sidewalk chalk and pottery throwing. Out of the 7 schools,... Read More

post prom-featured

After Prom = success, thinking of future

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
April 27, 2012  

The traditional “After Prom” began at 1 a.m. on Sunday, Apr. 22. Juniors and seniors, plus their dates, were welcome to come and enjoy a night (or technically, morning) full of games and prizes to conclude the prom festivities. There were many activities for students to participate in: ... Read More

joe-white-top

School has Joe White assembly on making smart decisions

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
March 16, 2012  

An all-school assembly was held Thursday, Mar. 15, 2012, about not drinking and making smart choices. The keynote speaker was Joe White, who now suffers from brain problems after trying to reenact a stunt (while intoxicated) from a Jackass movie he had seen two days before. He has an auditory... Read More

nelson

New Schedule Begins after Spring Break

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
March 2, 2012  

Beginning the week after Spring Break, there will be no more Wildcat Days. This has been a topic of discussion in previous years, but until now the schedule remained the same. The idea was recently brought up again during a GRP committee meeting, where the discussion led to pros and cons of... Read More

Senior Creates Time Capsule for GRP and 100 year celebration

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
February 10, 2012  

The graduation research project (GRP) is a requirement for every senior to complete in order to graduate. Most students choose something that can be completed on their own with the help of a mentor or two. Instead of picking a project that can be done individually, Taylor Cain took a unique... Read More

Marketing students spend WIldcat Days (which are usually Mondays) working on their extreme couponing project.

Students begin Extreme Couponing project

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
January 13, 2012  

DECA, along with the marketing class, have a new project this semester—extreme couponing. Christine Stout, DECA advisor and marketing teacher, came up with this idea over Christmas Break. She watched the show Extreme Couponing on TLC and saw that people have found effective ways to save money. The... Read More

Movie Review: Breaking Dawn – Part 1

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
December 9, 2011  

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 was released at midnight on November 18, 2011. In June, I began counting down the days until The Twilight Saga:  Breaking Dawn – Part 1 came out, and let me tell you, it did not disappoint! Within the first 10 seconds, Jacob (the beautifully tan,... Read More

Act3

LHS needs an ACT prep elective class

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
November 4, 2011  

When it comes to preparing for college, three of the scariest letters are A-C-T. Personally, I think it’s stupid that one test is so important. However, the reality is that ACT scores have dollar signs and scholarships attached to them. Wouldn’t it be nice if the school offered an ACT prep... Read More

Smith

New winter sports coaches ready for the season to start

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
November 4, 2011  

The winter sports season is rapidly approaching, and it’s bringing five new coaches, too. The new wrestling coach is Bobby Bovaird, who also teaches journalism and freshman English classes. He came from Washburn Rural High School where he was an assistant wrestling coach for two years and... Read More

blue-ribbon

LHS wins national Blue Ribbon award!

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
October 7, 2011  

Last spring when LHS was nominated for the Blue Ribbon Award, teachers spent hours and hours working on the application to send in to the U.S. Department of Education in Washington, D.C. Their work paid off when Louisburg High School was announced as a National Blue Ribbon School on Sept. 15.... Read More

LHS celebrates its Centennial Anniversary

Jaden Scott, Editor-in-Chief
October 7, 2011  

This year marks the 100th birthday of Louisburg High School. When the school was founded after the Civil War, it started off as a two-year high school. Then it became a three-year school, but the state board of regents said in order for students to be able to attend college, they needed to... Read More